Monday, October 15, 2007

Our ER Trip

Update: Photo removed for safety reasons.
An update on Miss Lindley.
(Here's a picture of Lindley that my sister took last month, I think.)


About 5:30 a.m. Sunday morning she started throwing up. A much longer story a little shorter...I called her cardiologist in Fort Worth. Found out it could just be a virus or a sign that fluid was building up around her heart. Watched her grow more weak and pale by the hour. The cardiologist told us we could stay in our town to have IV's hooked up for fluids, a chest x-ray, blood work, and an echocardiogram. She warned us we'd have to go through our town's ER and that it would be a 6 hour process since it was a Sunday. Very close. It was 5 hours in the ER. Good times.


The cardiologist was pretty sure it was probably just a virus, but we were scared to take the gamble and keep her home. Once family came over to keep the other kids, Lindley suddenly perked up and made us feel like maybe we were jumping the gun on the ER decision, but before long she grabbed her blanket and laid down on the floor by her grandmother's feet.


We decided to take her to the ER---8 1/2 hours after the vomiting first occurred, so we were tired of waiting to see what would happen.


There was no kind of sedation, and obviously children were not their speciality like Cook Children's. I don't know how many IV's were stuck into her veins before they finally called a pediatric nurse and were successful. Words can't describe the combination of Lindley seeing another hospital bed and nurses combined with being stung with needles and blood running out of her arms onto the sheets on both sides of her. Blood curdling screams for 3 hours straight is the best I can do to describe it as people held down her arms and legs and proceeded to do blood tests, IV's, chest x-rays, and an echocardiogram.


We promised her the echo wouldn't hurt. We didn't think about how hard the tech would be pressing down all around her incision over her broken bone down the center of her chest. We also didn't know that the tech wouldn't notice she had stuck a lead (or whatever they're called) on top of the hole where her chest tube entered. When that was removed, it ripped off the scab. SCREAAAAAAAAAAAAMS all around. We wanted to hit her. We've been specially doctoring that spot for an entire week trying to get it to heal properly.


Then it was just a matter of waiting around for our local ER doctor to get all the results to the on-call physician in Fort Worth. We turned off the lights, and Lindley fell asleep for almost two hours. She cried and whimpered in her sleep every few seconds almost the entire time. I've never heard her do that before.


Yesterday was horrifying compared to our experience at Cook's. I think the difference was that I knew they were hurting her because they were incompetent. The screams at Cook's were usually out of fear and not pain. I know their incompetence was partially related to the fact that they weren't trained to deal with a child like her, so I didn't get furious enough to file a complaint or anything. I'm just really glad it's over. The thought of having to take her back to Fort Worth on Thursday to do it ALL over again is something I DREAD!


Hopefully by then her virus will be gone and none of our other children will be sick.

Labels:

26 Comments:

  • Oh, I'm so sorry she had to go through that. I can only imagine how bad it must have been. Please give her a kiss for me.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Mon Oct 15, 11:44:00 AM  

  • oh..my heart just breaks for you guys. i am so very sorry. we are still saying lots of prayers for y'all.

    By Blogger Ladybug, at Mon Oct 15, 11:57:00 AM  

  • That is awful ... especially with them not considering her condition and the scar/scabs.

    Hoping for the best...

    By Blogger Southern (in)Sanity, at Mon Oct 15, 12:00:00 PM  

  • That is horrible. I'm guessing that you have been giving extra hugs and kisses. I hope she gets over this and heals quickly. We keep remembering Lindley and Matthew (Terri) when we say our good-night prayers.

    One would have thought that seeing her scars might have invoked a bit more sensitivity. Sorry that she had to suffer through that again. she is a champ!

    By Blogger g-man, at Mon Oct 15, 01:18:00 PM  

  • What a rotten experience for you all. I'm so sorry you had to endure this.

    By Blogger Merle Sneed, at Mon Oct 15, 02:12:00 PM  

  • Oh, your poor little baby. I hope she's feeling better soon and that Thursday is a good day for her.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Oct 15, 02:23:00 PM  

  • I could just cry my eyes out right now reading that. I am so sorry you had to go through that.

    Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

    By Blogger Super B's Mom, at Mon Oct 15, 03:10:00 PM  

  • Ack! Double Ack!

    By Blogger Kurt, at Mon Oct 15, 03:59:00 PM  

  • That is so heart breaking. Poor little baby. I hope she's doing better today & I pray you guys won't have any more sick kids at home.

    By Blogger *~*Cece*~*, at Mon Oct 15, 05:07:00 PM  

  • Oh poor baby girl.

    By Blogger flutter, at Mon Oct 15, 05:20:00 PM  

  • I feel sorry for Lindley. No one should have to go through that, especially not a child. I do hope she gets better soon.

    By Blogger Terence Towles Canote, at Mon Oct 15, 10:36:00 PM  

  • Oh, I'm so sorry you had to go through all that! Poor Lindley... and poor YOU! I hope she gets to feeling better right away. Give her a gentle hug from me.

    (((Hugs)))
    Nancy

    By Blogger Nancy Jensen, at Tue Oct 16, 12:53:00 AM  

  • oh my....that all just made me so sick to my stomache...I just can't imagine. Bless you for keeping your cool!
    many hugs...soft and gentle ones for your Lindley!

    By Blogger Corey~living and loving, at Tue Oct 16, 01:45:00 AM  

  • That sounds like a hot mess! Honey I am so sorry.

    By Blogger Deb, at Tue Oct 16, 08:50:00 AM  

  • I think you should complain. How can they improve if the people in charge don't know how lacking they are in dealing with children. How awful.

    Lindley is a really cute little girl!

    By Blogger Miss Notesy, at Tue Oct 16, 11:15:00 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Terri@SteelMagnolia, at Tue Oct 16, 03:44:00 PM  

  • Kiss that sweet girl....

    she's a brave little one...
    no child should suffer...they are so innocent.. and it doesn't seem right.

    By Blogger Terri@SteelMagnolia, at Tue Oct 16, 03:47:00 PM  

  • It is terrible that Lindley had to go through that. Many prayers being sent your way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Oct 17, 08:13:00 AM  

  • Still thinking of you!

    Stay strong...

    By Blogger Jackie, at Wed Oct 17, 09:13:00 AM  

  • She's one brave little girl and you are one brave mommy!

    By Blogger H, at Wed Oct 17, 09:13:00 AM  

  • Oh Jenny ... I hope things turn around for you soon. It's a worrying time for you and it must seem like a lifetime waiting to come out the other side x

    By Blogger Little Nut Tree, at Wed Oct 17, 01:24:00 PM  

  • *hugs*

    That sucks ass dear. Sorry to hear that its incompetence causing her pain. I remember the mrs in teh hospital having sarah it took 4 tries with the epidural...incompetence sucks ass.

    Good luck. our thoughts and prayers....

    By Blogger carmachu, at Wed Oct 17, 08:44:00 PM  

  • That ticks me off - incompetance aside how about common sense? You see a huge incision, how can you think it wouldn't hurt? Not to mention putting a lead on a wound. I would complain loud and clear so it wouldn't happen to anyone else - but that is just me, rather loud mouthed when someone gets me mad enough. :)

    I sure hope she recovers for this ordeal - and you too. Sending hugs.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Oct 17, 09:19:00 PM  

  • hope the Puka-a-thon is running out of steam darlin!

    By Blogger Dan, at Thu Oct 18, 01:26:00 AM  

  • Poor baby, and poor you guys! So sorry that had to happen right after the other hospital stay...hope things are looking up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Oct 18, 01:46:00 AM  

  • If you haven't already done so, please file a complaint.

    complaints = more training.

    No other kid should have to endure that type of torture.

    meow.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Oct 24, 10:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home