Wednesday, October 10, 2007

We're Home!

Hello!

Sorry I'm just now updating! We got home Monday evening. We've been exhausted!

Lindley is a little sore, but that's to be expected. We're still having to keep her from running through the house and playing too roughly with her siblings. She has that broken bone down the center of her chest that will need 6 weeks to heal. She has one other wound besides the incision that we're having to take care of once a day. It's a hole in her side where the chest tube entered.

Understandably, the hospital experience was pretty traumatic for her. She is so shy and flips out just going for check-ups to the pediatrician. There were always people coming in the room touching her, sticking her, flushing IV's, etc. For whatever reason, they would pull her out of bed at 4 a.m. to weigh her. She lost 5 pounds which is a lot when you're only 32 pounds to begin with.

She used to take her medicine daily so happily and never complained. Now it's a scream fest that involves trying to get the meds down her throat before she spits them back out. Before she loved getting nakey. Now she doesn't want anyone to even lift her shirt because they did that to her constantly in the hospital. She seems self-conscious when she has to take off her shirt in front of her siblings. She puts her arms up over her incision. We have to rub medication into her incision and the wound from the chest tube, and that (along with anything else involving going near her shirt or giving her medicine) is another scream fest that requires her arms and legs to be pinned down so we can apply it.

Hopefully things will calm down as soon as the hospital becomes a distant memory. I wish we weren't already going back next Thursday for follow-up appointments. We felt like SUCH idiots on Monday. We talked to various people in the check-out process. Signed some papers. Told all the nurses good-bye. Walked clear across the other side of the hospital to get to our car. We even had Lindley buckled into her car seat when I received the phone call, "Uh, where are you? We haven't released Lindley yet. The cardiologist still has to see her, and we have to go over more information with you." AAACK! Once she said that, I remembered she said she had a folder for me. Lindley wigged out when we had to take her back to the hospital room and sit there for another hour as the world's slowest whoever she was went over every piece of information in the folder multiple times. Then the cardiologist came in, touched her, pissed her off, and started another crying binge that I almost joined in on.

Currently, I'm most concerned that Lindley isn't telling me when she's hurting because she knows she'll have to take medicine. She cringes when I have to lay her down to change her. She can't sit up from a lying down position very easily--especially if it's on a really soft surface.

The kids go from room to room to play. Though we check in on them constantly, it scares us to death if we hear Lindley start screaming. She shouldn't fall down or have a toy shoved into her chest. Her bones are wired together, so it's a strong hold, but we still have to be cautious. We also have to be very careful that she doesn't get sick. The incision and wound from the chest tube are direct lines to her heart, so it's also crucial that no bacteria finds its way through there.

I think that pretty much updates the situation and Miss Lin. I've appreciated you guys as always! I'll update as I get new information. Later!

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

  • Jenny, that is fantastic news! I'm so glad for all of you.

    By Blogger Merle Sneed, at Wed Oct 10, 05:26:00 PM  

  • "We're Home!" is the best news I've heard! So glad you've updated. Lindley will continue to be in my prayers, as will you and the rest of your family.

    Bless you...

    By Blogger Jackie, at Wed Oct 10, 05:38:00 PM  

  • I'm happy for you.

    By Blogger Kurt, at Wed Oct 10, 10:16:00 PM  

  • I'm so glad that you are home and I hope that Lindley relaxes and gets used to being at home again. As far as the wires in her chest goes please try to relax a little too. When Jess was 6 yrs old she had her 4th heart surgery... within a couple of days after we got home I caught her leaning over the rail on her bed... she was stuck there, ON HER INCISION! She didn't even have enough energy to scream since she was breathing shallowly because she was hurting and couldn't get off. Fortunately she hadn't been there very long since I was following her around constantly! She was fine after I picked her up and scolded her. I, on the other hand, was not fie. lol

    You are doing everything right. You are such a good mommy and I am just so happy that your 3 kiddos are home together again.

    By the way, I'll update my blog about Miss Jess after our appointment with the cardiologist tomorrow... erm, I mean today! Thanks for asking about her.

    By Blogger Nancy Jensen, at Thu Oct 11, 03:23:00 AM  

  • I am glad you're home and everything is OK. I bet Lindley will get in a better mood as those pretty serious wounds heal.

    I probably wouldn't be able to sit up from a lying-down position very well either if someone had cut the bones in my chest apart.

    By Blogger Southern (in)Sanity, at Thu Oct 11, 10:33:00 AM  

  • Glad you are home. I hope she gets back to her "usual" self soon. Extra hugs and kisses for her.

    By Blogger g-man, at Thu Oct 11, 11:04:00 AM  

  • Oh it breaks my heart that she gets so upset about that stuff. Poor baby. I hope she gets over it soon and is back to her normal self.

    Glad to hear you are home!

    By Blogger Unknown, at Thu Oct 11, 11:05:00 AM  

  • Oh Miss Lin. You are one strong little lady.

    So are you Momma.

    Hugs.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Oct 11, 11:56:00 AM  

  • I am not ashamed to admit that I did a little dance of joy when I saw your happy title.
    I am so glad you are home, and I hope that soon, your sweet girl will be alittle more like her old self.

    By Blogger Corey~living and loving, at Thu Oct 11, 01:54:00 PM  

  • Yea! Glad to hear that your all home and it went well.

    Yeah I can imagine its scary with the changes in her now....good luck!

    By Blogger carmachu, at Thu Oct 11, 04:15:00 PM  

  • Glad you are home too! Do you have to give her shots daily too? I am assuming so if she is on blood thinners...if you are and she is getting them in the abdomen - not fun! I hope she heals quickly and with no infections. There is no place like home....I am sure she is thinking, if not saying that, all the time.

    By Blogger Doughnut, at Thu Oct 11, 08:13:00 PM  

  • Hey girl..
    so happy all is well...
    Sure is a lot to worry about
    and it sure is important to keep that incision site germ/bacteria free, no doubt.

    Glad you're home safe and sound.

    RSV season has already started here in Vegas.... two cases at the PICU in September.. so be extra careful at the store and around other kids, etc.... that RSV bug lives for a long time on things ...
    keep anti bacterial wipes with ya and that anti bacterial goo.

    By Blogger Terri@SteelMagnolia, at Thu Oct 11, 11:32:00 PM  

  • What a difficult experience for a little girl, especially one who's shy. It's great that everything went well, though. All the best to your family!

    By Blogger H, at Fri Oct 12, 01:45:00 PM  

  • I think all of this is to be expected! Pretty soon...you will be laughing about all of this! (At least you will with a few cocktails in you! hee-hee) I am so glad you are home. I pray it will get easier with each passing day!

    By Blogger Queen of the Mayhem, at Sat Oct 13, 06:56:00 AM  

  • I can't believe I missed all this!! i AM so happy that all is well. I have been praying and thinking of you guys, but no internet service off and on.

    Catch ya later!!

    By Blogger MM, at Sat Oct 13, 10:06:00 PM  

  • well done Lindley, well done Jenny and well done Ironman.. x

    Big well dones all round and plenty of good, bacteria fighting, gentle and sensible hugs coming your way ;o)

    x

    By Blogger Little Nut Tree, at Sun Oct 14, 02:23:00 PM  

  • Bless her heart. I hope she feels better soon. How traumatic for all involved!

    By Blogger kristi, at Wed Oct 17, 12:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home