Monday, May 19, 2008

If You Only Knew What Was In My Nightstand

Most of you know that I almost never read blogs anymore.

I'm not proud of it.

But today I did go over to Momumo's blog to thank her for her comment on my last post.

Man! I don't even remember anymore how to link to someone else. I know she's at http://www.momumo.blogspot.com. Anyway, it just so happens that she tagged me. I haven't participated in a tag in forever, but I was kind of curious what this tag could bring up, so I'm participating. I'm supposed to tag five of you guys, but I always feel like a teacher handing out homework assignments when I do that. Consider yourself tagged if this seems like a way you'd like to spend your time.

Here are the rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people and post a comment to the person who tagged you once you’ve posted your three sentences.

Here's what happened when I attempted to do this...

The nearest book only had 10 pages and was called I'm a Big Sister. I almost gave up because I didn't want to move to find the next nearest book.

I decided to look in my nightstand. There I found The One Year Chronological Bible. Yeah, I've never gotten through it though it is an easy translation. I found myself laughing at one point in it. I think subconsciously I must have thought something was off if I was finding the Bible to be a funny read, and I don't think I've ever picked it up again. Anyway, today I thought, "Oh, wow! This could be one of those times that I'm led to read a certain passage in the Bible and it will really speak to where I am in life right now.

Not so much. It talked about the rules of when to set my Hebrew slaves free. My Hebrew slaves ain't never gettin' set free!

Scratch that attempt. I continued to dig in my drawer. I had NO idea how many nasty things were hiding in there. All I know is there are a ton of smooshed raisins dumped in there, and I don't eat raisins. I could write an entire post on the bizarre things in my nightstand, but I digress.

Next book: The Viewer's Guide to Tivo. Page 123 was an appendix of additional set up examples. There were no sentences.

The next book was a gift. I never finished it either. It is by a Christian author that I don't see eye to eye with, and on page 123 he's writing about casting out demons. My demons ain't never gettin' cast out!!!

I bet by now you're wishing I just would have quoted the Bible and been done with it.

The next closest stack of books are under my bed. The Thirteenth Tale was on top of the stack. I've never read it either. Surprised? It came in a box of books I received FOR FREE thanks to this blog. It looks like a book I might dig, so I'm keeping it. I'm finally proceeding with the tag, so here goes:

A liar. And the plea that had so moved me--Tell me the truth--had been uttered by a man that was not even real. I was at a loss to explain to myself the bitterness of my disappointment.

It's too bad I chose that book instead of the one underneath it called The Bracelet. It just so happens page 123 is a steamy love scene between a flower-power antiwar protestor and a soldier heading off to Vietnam that involved mahogany furniture and sunlight. Ah, well. I think I might have to finish that book.

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home