Thursday, July 10, 2008

Liars and Snooping

Hellooooooooooooooooo!

Why did I sign on to post something? I'm so sleepy. Now I can't remember.

OH! Here's something weird I heard yesterday. There's a homeless man I used to have a bleeding heart for. He's in a wheel chair, and I see him around town. For the past couple of years I've given him money or food if I have it. He'll say things like, "Thank you! God bless you. I'm not supposed to take my medication on an empty stomach." He usually sits on the same corner with the same sign begging for food. I used to see him every time I took Ironman lunch at work, so I'd plan to have things to give the man in the wheelchair. I'd actually be bummed if he wasn't there because I really wanted to help him. I figured there were a lot of people in the community helping him because eventually you begin to feel for a person you see struggling every single day. The wheelchair led me to believe his physical challenges prevented him from being hired on somewhere. I assumed he was in his 30's, but his long beard and clothing made him look like an old Vietnam Vet.

Anyway, in the past 6 months or so, his "crew" has grown. Now there are about 5 or 6 "homeless" people working that corner in shifts. When it's not their turn, they sit under an overpass with the others and shoot the bull. It's become quite a production. Then my mom told me she had read that someone had been watching these "homeless" people and had reported to the local newspaper that a van drops them off every morning and picks them up in the evening. I don't know the whole story, but apparently people in town are beginning to feel like the community is getting conned. If any locals know the details of this story, let me know.

This is the part I wanted to tell you...Yesterday Ironman's boss was in his truck at the intersection where the wheelchair guy was begging for food or money. When Ironman's boss told the guy he didn't have any money on him, the wheelchair guy cussed him out. That's when "boss" said something like, "Well, I guess you are what I thought you were then." Surprise, surprise, wheel chair guy JUMPS OUT of his wheelchair to attack the boss! Unfortunately for the "disabled" man, the boss happens to be a huge guy. He opened his truck door to hit the wheelchair guy and prevent being attacked and knocked the guy on the ground. The truck door was dented. Now the guy may have a legitimate reason to be in a wheelchair other than conning people. So weird. And I totally fell for it. I really thought he was legit.

I think you have to be a special kind of evil to pose as a needy person. They put doubt in our minds towards those who truly are needy.

Here's my latest snoop story. A while back I told you about the lady who bought a cart full of douche. That's when I confessed to spying on other shoppers and coming up with stories in my head of what they'll be doing later that night. Today I was behind a man buying 3 things...a new mattress, a large bouquet of flowers, and the largest bag of dog food money can buy. My mind is going wild. OH THE POSSIBILITIES!

Nap time. Sorry for the poorly written post. I'm lucky I can string two words together.

3 Comments:

  • Jenny, you are only responsible for your generosity, not the heart of the recipient. :)

    By Blogger Merle Sneed, at Fri Jul 11, 01:59:00 AM  

  • I heard the thing about the van in our area too. I don't know if it's true or not, but the shelters around here are always telling people not to give money to panhandlers because it's used on alcohol or drugs. I can totally see giving them food, though, but my sister in law tried and the guy said no thanks...pretty suspicious. Thankfully, our city now has a 'no panhandling' law, and they can't sit at freeway off/onramps or anywhere in public with signs anymore. We give to the shelters...food, clothes, etc.

    By Blogger baseballmom, at Fri Jul 11, 02:48:00 AM  

  • Traffic Signal (2007), a Bollywood film, documented the operation of 'beggar mafia' in Bombay, which I suppose is largely true. The atrocities committed on them are atrocious.

    However, some people are really needy. They are the ones with the vacant look in their eyes.

    By Blogger bitchlet, at Fri Jul 11, 02:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home